Announcement from the WineGB Board
WineGB announce that Simon Thorpe MW is stepping down as CEO to return to his roots as an importer and distributor. Simon joined the organisation in 2020 and has overseen the unprecedented growth of the industry and helped transform Wine GB into a strong and united voice for its members.
Message from Simon Thorpe MW
I am lucky enough to have been the CEO of WineGB through such an exciting and dynamic time in UK wine and am confident I leave a team and organisation that can deliver on our three-pillar strategy of Industry Leadership, Growth, and Member Support.
WineGB now represents over 80% of the 4000+ hectares of UK vineyards and producers with strong growth projections, so the industry and organisation are in great shape and we should be proud of what we’ve achieved. It is a truly exciting time for viticulture and wine making in this country, the future is bright and I will be cheering its progress from the sidelines.
Message from Sam Linter (Chair of WineGB)
I would like to thank Simon for his hard work as our CEO. As well as building the current success of the organisation he leaves us with much to look forward to:
- The imminent revision of our PDO/PGI schemes which will help local and global consumers meaningfully navigate our quality wines
- Increased membership giving us a stronger voice, we now represent over 80% of wine production in the UK which means we legitimately speak for the industry
- Our Sustainable wines of Great Britain scheme will help make UK wine the most environmentally friendly choice for UK wine consumers and help contribute to the UK’s net zero target
- Rapidly increasing diversity within the industry, as exciting career paths are created within businesses and promoted through academic organisations
- More of our sell-out events, providing both members, sponsors and trade with opportunity to connect, talk and grow together
- A growing domestic and global presence as we continue to nurture our relationship with the UK trade and export markets to connect our wines with the world
Simon’s last day will be May 31st and on behalf of the members WineGB would like to thank Simon for his dedicated service and wish him all the best in his new role. Whilst it is disappointing to see him go, the organisation are extremely excited about the future of the UK wine industry and look forward to appointing a new CEO to help deliver its ongoing vision.
Sam Linter and the WineGB Board